Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Korean drama love

I suppose you might find that this blog comes a bit tooooo late. Korean drama craze has been on for the past 5 years and is probably going downhill.
This blog is not to talk about how crazy people are over Korean dramas but explore the messages that each drama or scene or theme is trying to tell us.
I love Korean drama. Because I find that I can relate to it (though I only been to Korea twice) but it is so real and close to my heart. I can literally laugh, cry, move and think with the actors.
Korean drama has the power to set you into the scene and make you live, breathe it.
I will usually have some emotional sway and thoughts after I finish a drama. No other shows has influenced me as such.
Of course love theme is most prevalent in these dramas. To love or not to love, to love hard or to set free, to remember or to forget.... They teach lessons.
I have just finished a new drama called which star are you from?'. The story is pretty simple. The male lead's gf died in a car accident and made him very despondent. 3 years later he met a girl who looks exactly like his gf and falls in love with her. Of course the female lead loves him too. Soon after, they realised that the female lead is his ex-gf's long lost sister. They went into a dilemma of whether to love or not love. But their love is so strong despite objections from family and friends. Finally it is a happy ending.
Don't you have find that the elements are repetitive in other dramas as well? Yes, 3 years, look alike, leads fall in love, family objects, etc. The beauty of Korean drama is that every scriptwriter is able to piece various elements together and make it into a brand new story.
Why does Korean drama craza takes off so easily? How come so many of us can get connected to the stories? Even men. Research shows that male viewers are equally hooked to 'Jewel in the palace'. My father is one good example.
It is love. We want to find the love that is absent in our real lives. The leads are always so passionate, expressive and emotional about love. Nothing in this world can stop them in pursuing real love. Nothing at all. But can we do that in real life? Do we feel such love in the first place?
Korean drama gives us the opportunity to indulge in love, love which we have forgotten to express and give.